A wholesome kadhi that is made up from soaked and grinded bengal gram or chana dal. It tastes entirely different from the known besan ki kadhi. It is famous across Bihar, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh. Learn ow to make this delicious kadhi with the recipe given below:
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Recipe Yeild: 4 servings
- Bengal Gram (chana dal) - 1 cup (soaked for 2 hours and grinded to a granular paste form)
- Turmeric Powder (haldi) - 1 tea spoon
- Black mustard seeds - 1 tea spoon
- Asafoetida (hing) - 1 pinch
- Whole Red Chilli (khadi lal mirch) -3
- Curry leaves (kari patta) - 5-6
- Salt to taste
- Curd (dahi) - 1/2 cup
- Mustard oil (sarson ka tel) - as per requirement to fry the kadhi pakoras and prepare the kadhi (you can use refined oil also)
- Water to prepare the batter for pakoras and kadhi
- To the grinded dal paste of bengal gram (chana dal) add turmeric powder (haldi powder) and salt to taste to prepare the dal batter.
- Heat some oil for frying in a kadhai. Lower the flame when the oil is heated completely.
- Put small dumplings (pakori or bari) of the dal batter in kadhai and start frying. Use more than half of dal batter to make bari.
- Keep the fried bari aside on a plate with tissue paper to absorb the extra oil.
- To the remaining batter add 2 cups water, salt to taste and turmeric powder (haldi powder) and mix well to prepare a flowy dal batter for kadhi.
- Now in a seperate kadhai, heat 1 table spoon oil. First add asafoetida (hing powder) and black mustard seeds (rai) to it. Allow the seeds to crackle.
- Now add the whole red chilli (khadi lal mirch) and curry leaves (kari patta) to the kadhai. Remember not to blacken the whole red chillis.
- After a few seconds, add the flowy dal batter. Increase the flame and allow the batter to cook and boil.
- When the kadhi comes to boil, stir the batter and cook in this manner for 8 minutes.
- In a seperate bowl, add the curd (dahi) and smoothen it with a spoon.
- Add the smoothend curd (dahi) to the boiling kadhi. Stir and mix. Cook it for 2 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Now transfer the kadhi to a beautiful serving bowl. Add the fried bari to the kadhi and garnish with chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya patti).