Aloo Tikki Chaat is famous snack item and street food in the North India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Served with sweet and sour tamarind chutney, dhaniya chutney, curd and chick peas, it is a mouth-watering dish. It has many variants like the aloo tokri chaat in which the chaat is serve in fried mesh basket of grated potato. Prepare delicious chaat with the following recipe:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes (to boil the potatoes) and assemble other ingredients
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes (to fry the tikkis and serve)
Recipe yield: 3 servings (1 tikki per serving)
- Boiled potatoes (ubale huye aloo) - 3 big size
- Salt to Taste
- Cornflour - 2 tea spoons levelled
- Mustard oil (sarson ka tel) to shallow fry
- Smoothened chilled curd (dahi)
- Chhole Masala curry prepared before the aloo tikkis
- Coriander Chutney (hara dhaniya ki chutney)
- Sweet and Sour Tamarind Chutney (khatti meethi imli ki chutney)
- To Garnish:
- Onion - 1 small (finely chopped)
- Cucumber - 1 small (finely chopped)
- Coriander (hara dhaniya) - 2 table spoon
- Green chilli - 1-2 finely chopped
- Besan sev (small variety) - for garnish as per requirement
- Roasted and powdered cumin seeds (bhuna jeera powder) - as per requirement
- Chaat Masala Powder - as per requirement
- Red chilli powder (lal mirch powder) - as per requirement
- Wash the potatoes well and boil them in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles. (Lower the flame after the first whistle)
- Allow the pressure to cool down and then remove the boiled potatoes (ubale huye aloo) to a plate. Peel them off and mash them to small pieces.
- Add the cornflour to the mashed potatoes and salt to taste.
- Mix all three ingrdients well so that it becomes a uniform thick paste.
- In a non-stick pan or tawa heat some mustard oil (sarson ka tel) to stir fry the aloo tikkis.
- While the oil gets warm, make round tikkis or cutlets of the potato mixture.
- Start frying the tikkis till both sides turn goldern red and crispy.
- While the aloo tikki is getting ready, set the chhole masala curry prepared to get warm on another gas stove on low flame.
- Remove the hot fried tikkis to a beautiful dish for serving.
- On the tikki, first put a layer of some chhole masala curry.
- Now pour some smoothened curd (dahi), tamarind chutney (imli ki cutney) and coriander chutney (hara dhaniya ki chutney) over it.
- Sprinkle some salt as per taste, roasted cumin seeds powder (bhuna jeera powder), red chilli powder (lal mirch powder) and chaat masala powder.
- Garnish with chopped onion (pyaz), cucumber (kheera), green chilli (hari mirch) and coriander leaves (hara dhaniya patti). Serve hot.
(Tips: 1. Remember not to add any water while making the potato mixture. 2. Fry the tikkis till golden red, don't over-fry the tikkis or else they will turn black. 3. Add sugar to the curd (dahi), if sweetened curd is preferred. )
For the recipe of Chhole Masala, Coriander and tamarind chutneys click on the links below: