Kala Chana Curry is a simple, easy to make dish and full of flavors. This dish is famous for being part of the Punjabi cuisine. Besides the soaked and boiled black chickpeas make it very nutritious. Prepare this healthy and delicious dish following the below recipe:
Preparation time: 1o minutes; Soak the black chickpeas in water for 6 hours.
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
Recipe Yield: 4 sevings
- Black Chickpeas (kala chana) - 1.5 cup soaked in water for 6 hours
- Onion (pyaz) - 1 big size finely chopped
- Tomato (tamatar) - 1 big size (grinded to pury form)
- Green chilli (hari mirch) - 2 finely chopped
- Ginger (adrak) - 1 tea spoon chopped
- Garlic (lehsun) - 3-4 petals chopped
- Cumin Seed powder (jeera powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Black pepper powder (kali mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Red chilli powder (lal mirch powder) - 1/4 tea spoon
- Coriander powder (dhaniya powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder (haldi powder) - 1 tea spoon
- Asafoetida (hing powder) - 1 pinch
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tea spoon
- Mustard oil or Refined oil - 2 table spoon
- Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya patti) - for garnish (as much required)
- Salt to taste
- Water to boil and steam the black chickpeas (kala chana) and for gravy
- In a kadhai, heat some oil and first add asafoetida (hing powder) to it. Then add the chopped onions (pyaz) and lower the flame.
- Now add to it chopped ginger (adrak), garlic (lehsun) and green chilli (hari mirch).
- Add the tomato pury (tamatar ka paste) prepared to it and allow it to cook.
- When the tomato gets cooked add the turmeric powder (haldi powder) followed by cumin seeds powder (jeera powder), black pepper powder (kali mirch powder), red chilli powder (lal mirch powder) and garam masala powder. Cook the ingredients well.
- When the masala being prepared turns red and oil begins to seperate, add the soaked black chickpeas (kala chana) to it and mix.
- Now transfer the black chickpeas (kala chana) and the masala to a pressure cooker. Add 1/2 cup water to it and close the lid. Pressue cook for one whistle and then cook on lower flame for 6-7 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Wait till the cooker cools down, open it and stir with a ladle to mix masala uniformly.
- Transfer it to a beautiful serving bowl, and garnish with onion slices and chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya patti).
(Tips: 1. After steaming the chickpeas in pressure cooker, mash 1 or 2 of them to check that they are boiled properly; 2. While serving you can add a little lemon juice also, as per requirement.)
SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK