Makhane ki kheer is a special sweet dish prepared specially during vrats or fasting. This low fat kheer is healthy and digestible. Makhana or lotus seeds have a lot of health benefits and medicinal properties as mentioned in the Ayurveda. Prepare this delicious desert with the help of the below recipe and serve it hot or cold:
Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Nutritional content: Makhana or lotus seeds are known to be rich in calcium and protein, and therefore form a healthy snack especially for vegetarians. They also have zero fat content, and hence the kheer prepared is also low in fat. The milk and nuts provide protein.
Taste type: Mild sweet to sweet (depending upon sweetness required)
Recipe yield: 4 servings
Alternative Names: Phool Makhane Ki Kheer, Makhana Kheer, Kheer Recipe, Makhana Payasam, Lotus Seeds Pudding, Fox Nut Pudding
- Lotus seeds (Makhana) - 2.5 cups full
- Milk - 1 litre
- Sugar to taste
- Dry fruits – ½ cup
- Cashew (kaju)
- Almonds (badaam)
- Pistachios (pista)
- Raisins (kismis)
- Heat a kadhai and dry roast the lotus seeds (makhane) till they become crispy. Now crush the lotus seeds to small pieces using mixer or mortar and pestle.
- In a light base vessel (bhagona/ pateela), pour the milk and allow it to boil.
- Now add the crushed lotus seeds (makhane) to the milk vessel.
- Lower the flame and allow the mixture to cook in milk. Stir it with ladle at regular intervals.
- Cook in this pattern for 20-25 minutes till a creamy consistency is obtained and the lotus seeds (makhane) become soft. At this moment add sugar to the mixture and mix with the ladle.
- Transfer it to a beautiful serving bowl and garnish with crushed nuts (kaju, badaam, pista) and raisins (kismis).
- Serve it hot or cold.
(Tips: 1. Remember not to crush the lotus seeds (makhane) much to form powder. Crush only to form small pieces.)