Sewai is a light Indian dessert prepared on special occasions like festivals and dinner parties. This combination of vermicelli strands and milk is famous across the entrie nation. Relish this weet delicious desert with the help of below recipe and step by step photos:
Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Recipe Yeild: 4 servings
- Milk - 1/2 litre
- Vermicelli strands (sewai) - a little more than 1/2 cup
- Sugar to taste
- Desi Ghee - 1 tea spoon to roast the vermicelli
- Dry Fruits: 1/2 cup (nuts chopped to small pieces)
- Almonds (badaam)
- Cashews (kaju)
- Raisins (kismis)
- Cardamom (chhoti elaichi) - 2 crushed
- Saffron (kesar) - 1 pinch (soaked in water for 5 minutes)
- In a deep vessel (bhagona or pateela), pour the milk and bring it to boil on low flame.
- In a kadhai heat 1 tea spoon desi ghee and stir fry the vermicelli (sewai) till it turns red.
- When the milk comes to boil, add sugar and crushed cardamom (chhoti elaichi) into it and stir.
- After 2 minutes add the stir fried vermicelli (sewai) to the milk and the sewai is ready. If the vermicelli is of thin variety then quickly stir, turn off the flame and cover the vessel with a lid. While if the vermicelli is of thick variety then stir and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame, and then turn off the flame
- Now transfer the sewai to a beautiful serving dish. Garnish it with chopped nuts (kaju and badaam) and raisins (kismis) and soaked saffron strands (kesar). Serve when it cools to room temperature.