Shahi Tukra is a bread pudding dessert made from fried bread slices soaked in rabri. This dish is also called Double ka meetha and is famous specially in Hyderabad and Telangana. Learn how to make this easy and delicious dessert with step by step photos and detailed recipe given below:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Recipe Yeild: 3 servings (2 pieces per serving)
- Bread - 6 slices
- Milk - 1/2 litre
- Sugar - 1 small cup
- Water - 1 small cup
- Ghee or Refined Oil - as per requirement for toast the bread or fry them
- Dry Fruits - 2 table spoon cut in long pieces
- Almonds (Badaam)
- Pistachios (Pista)
- Take 1/2 litre milk in a deep vessel or bhagona and keep to boil. Keep boiling the milk till it reduces to half the volume and becomes dense. The rabri is now ready to be used in later step.
- Take the bread slices in a plate and cut round pieces from them using a bowl or glass (as shown in the images below)
- In another deep vessel or bhagona take 1 small cup water and add 1 small cup sugar to it. Allow the solution to boil on high flame. Add 2-3 cardamom (chhoti elaichi) to the solution. When the sugar is dissolved completely check in a spoon with your fingers if the solution is sticky and 1 wired sugar syrup (chashini) is formed and then turn off the flame.
- Heat a tawa and grease it with ghee or refined oil. Now place the round bread pieces on it and toast them till they turn red and crispy. Flip the pieces and toast them on the other side.
- Now dip these bread pieces in the sugar syrup (chashini) and keep them in a beautiful serving plate.
- Now pour the rabri prepared over the toasted bread pieces and then garnsih with the dry fruits (badaam and pista). Shahi Tukra is ready to be served. It can be served hot and can be kept in fridge to be served later as dessert.