Including drumsticks in your diet is a natural route to healthy life. Drumsticks are also known as shehjan or munga in hindi. They are a storehouse of vitamins, minerals, dietary fibres, proteins and carbs. The abundant amount of medicinal benefits of this vegetable are just amazing. Besides the fruits, the leaves and flowers of this plant are also used to prepare soups and curries because of their high iron content.
So here we present an extremely healthy dish of the drumstick flowers "Shehjan Ke Phool Ki Bhujia" that has been prepared in very less oil and also has a high nutritional value. Learn how to make this dish with the help of step by step photos and detailed recipe given below:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 12 minutes
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
- Drumstick Flowers (shehjan ka phool) - 2 cup or 250 gm
- Onion (pyaz) - 1 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Salt as per taste (namak swaad anusar)
- Turmeric Powder (haldi powder) - 1 tea spoon
- Cumin Seeds Powder (jeera powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Black Pepper Powder (kali mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Coriander Powder (dhaniya powder) - 1 tea spoon
- Mustard Oil (sarson tel) - 1 tea spoon
- Seperate the drumstick flowers (shehjan ke phool) from their stems and wash them well with plain water atleast 2 times.
- Then heat 1 tea spoon mustard oil (sarson ka tel) in a kadhai and then add the chopped onion (pyaz) to it. Saute the onion (pyaz) till it turns golden red in color.
- Now add salt as per taste (namak swaad anusar) and the other powdered spices (haldi powder, lal mirch powder, jeera powder, kali mirch powder, dhaniya powder) to the kadhai and stir to mix all the ingredients well. Lower the flame, stir and cook the ingredients for 1 minute.
- Then add the drumstick flowers to the kadhai. Stir and cook the bhujiya being prepared for 1 minute. After cooking like this for 1 minute cover the kadhai with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes over medium flame only. (The drumstick flowers will become soft and tender during this time)
- Now remove the lid and stir to cook the bhujia for 1 minute in this manner. Now transfer the bhujia to a serving bowl and the "Shehjan Ke Phool Ki Bhujia" is ready to served.
(Tips: Do not add water while cooking the bhujia. The salt and the spices added will help the drumstick flowers to get cooked and become soft and tender to eat)