The accompanimanent of Dosas and Idlis is tasty, healthy and flavorful sambhar. Less oil, home made masala and vegetables make it a healthy dish of the South Indian cuisine. Prepare Sambhar ising the recipe given below:
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Recipe Yield - 4 servings
- Split Red Gram (arhar dal or tuvar dal) - 3/4 cup
- Bengal gram (chana dal) - 1 table spoon
- Black Gram Skinned (dhuli urad dal) - 1 table spoon
- Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) - 1 table spoon
- Black Mustard seeds (sarson dana or rai) - 1 table spoon
- Whole Coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya) - 1 table spoon
- Whole Red Chilli (khadi lal mirch) - 3 to 4
- Cumin Seeds (jeera) - 1 table spoon
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder (haldi powder) - 1/2 tea spoon for dal and 1/2 tea spoon for vegetables
- Asafoetida powder (hing powder) - 1 pinch
- Curry Leaves (kari patta) as per requirement and taste
- Vegetables - 1 cup washed thoroughly and chopped
- Potato (aloo)
- Cauliflower (phool gobhi)
- Carrots (gajar)
- Green peas (hari matar)
- Tomato (tamatar) - 2
- Onion (pyaz) - 1
- Mustard Oil - 2 table spoon
- Water to cook dal and smabhar
- Thoroughly wash the split red gram (arhar dal or tuvar dal) with water and add it to cooker. Add salt, turmeric powder (haldi powder) and water to cook the dal in the cooker. Close the lid and cook it for one whistle. Turn off the flame and allow the cooker to cool.
- Heat a kahdai on another stove and dry roast bengal gram (chana dal), black gram skinned (dhuli urad dal), fenugreek seeds (methi dana), whole coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya), whole red Chilli (khadi lal mirch), cumin Seeds (jeera) and 3/4 table spoon of black mustard seeds (sarson dana or rai).
- Transfer the roasted ingredients to a mixer jar and grind them to a granular powder form.
- Heat oil in akadhai and add the chopped onions to it. Saute the onions and add the chopped vegetables to the kadhai.
- Add turmeric powder (haldi powder) and salt to the cooking vegetables and cook them for 2 minutes.
- Now add the sambar masala prepared in step 2 and 3 and tomatoes to the cooking vegetables in the kadhai. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Transfer the ingredients of the kadhai to the half cooked split red gram (arhar dal or tuvar dal) in the cooker. Check the water and consistency of the dal. If required add more water. Close the lid and cook for 1 whistle.
- Turn off the flame and allow the cooker to cool.
- Now transfer the sambhar prepared to a beautiful serving bowl.
- Heat some in small pan and roast the remaining black mustard seeds (sarson dana or rai), curry leaves and 1-2 whole red chilli (khadi lal mirch).
- Add the roasted ingredients to the sambar prepared as shown in the images.
- The sambhar is now ready to be served.
(Tips: 1. Sambhar prepared should not be of very thick consistency)