Vada Pav is an all time favorite snack famous across the country especially Maharashtra. Be it tea-time or sudden hunger pangs, the vada pav make up a palatable snack. Learn hot to make this spicy and lip smacking snack with the help of step by step photos and detailed recipe given below:
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Recipe Yield: 3 servings (2 pieces per serving)
- Gram flour (besan) - 1 cup
- Turmeric Powder (haldi powder) - 1/4 tea spoon
- Water to prepare a batter of medium thick consistency
- Salt as per taste (namak swaad anusar)
Aloo Stuffing and Vada Pav Ingredients:
- Boiled Potato (ubale huye aloo) - 4 big size
- Curry leaves (kari patta) - as per requirement
- Mustard Seeds (rai) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Ginger (adrak) - 1 inch piece finely chopped
- Green Chilli (hari mirch) - 4 finely chopped
- Turmeric Powder (haldi powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Cumin Seeds Powder (jeera powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Black Pepper Powder (kali mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt as per taste (namak swaad anusar)
- Mustard Oil (sarson ka tel) - for frying the aloo mixture balls
- Pav Bread - 1 packet
Besan Batter Preparation:
- In a deep mixing bowl take the gram flour and add turmeric powder (haldi powder) and salt as per tatse (namak swaad anusar) to it.
- Now add water to the bowl and mix all the ingredients together to form a batter of medium thick consistency. Whisk the batter well and ensure that no lumps are formed.
- Keep the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
(If the batter's consistency is very thin then it will not form a layer over the potato mixture and get seperate from the frying aloo mixture balls. If the batter's consistency is very thick then it will form a very thick layer and it shall not get cooked properly.)
Potato Mixture Preparation:
- Peel off the boiled potatoes (ubale huye aloo) and mash them nicely so that a smooth paste like texture is obtained.
- Now heat 1 table spoon mustard oil (sarson ka tel) in a kadhai and add mustard seeds (rai) and curry leaves (kari patta) ot it.
- Allow the mustard seeds (rai) to clutter and then add the finely chopped ginger (adrak) and green chilli (hari mirch) to the kadhai. Saute them till they turn golden brown in color.
- Now add the dry spices (haldi powder, lal mirch powder, jeera powder, kali mirch powder) to the kadhai. Stir to mix the spices and lower the flame.
- Quickly add the mashed boiled potatoes (ubale huay aloo) to the kadhai. Stir to mix the mashed boiled potatoes (ubale huay aloo) with the spices and cook the ingredients together. Stir and cook the mixture for 2 minutes and then turn off the flame.
- Transfer this mixture to a plate and allow it to cool. Then prepare small balls like laddu of the entire mixture.
Vada Pav Preparation:
- Heat some mustard oil in a thick based kadhai (mote tale ki kadhai). (The amount of oil should be enough so that the aloo mixture balls are completely submerged in it while frying) Lower the flame when the oil is heated completely.
- Now dip the aloo mixture balls prepared earlier in the besan batter and roll it nicely so that they get coated nicely without any gaps.
- Then slowly slip one ball into the hot oil. After 2-3 seconds put another ball in the kadhai slowly without splashing any oil. Similarly put 4-5 balls to fry in the kadhai with a gap of 2-3 seconds.
- When they appear golden on the base side then flip them slowly to cook on the other side. Stir slowly and continuously to fry the aloo mixture balls till they turn uniform crispy golden red on all sides.
- Now transfer the fried aloo mixture balls t plate covered with tissure paper to soak off the extra oil.
- Cut the pav bread from the center dividing it into upper and lower halves. Place one aloo mixture ball in each pav bread.
- Then serve the hot vada pav with green chillis (hari mirch), Hare dhaniye ki Chutney and Meethi Chutney.
(Stir slowly and continuously to fry the aloo mixture balls till they turn uniform crispy golden red on all sides.)