Like sarson ka saag chana ka saag is among the most healthy dishes of the Indian cuisine. This dish is abundle of tatse and health. Learn how to make this dish with the help of step by step photos and detailed recipe given below:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
- Chana ka saag - 1/2 kg
- Salt - as per taste
- Garlic petals (lehsun ki kali) - 8
- Green Chilli (hari mirch) - 6
- Ginger (adrak) - 1 inch long piece
- Mustard Oil (Sarson ka tel) - 2 table spoon
- Take a soft and fresh bunch of chana ka saag. Seperate the leaves from the bunch (as shown in the image below) for saag preparation.
- Soak the saag leaves in water for 10 minutes to wash off the mud and fertilizer particles. Now wash the saag with clean water twice and then chop it finely.
- In a cooker take the chopped saag leaves and add salt as per taste to it. Do not add water and close the lid to steam and cook the saag. Cook the saag for 1 whistle and then lower the flame to cook it for further 12 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and allow the cooker to cool down. Remove the lid and the check if the saag has become soft and reduced to half its volume.
- Now mash the saag with a spatula to get a soft paste like texture. Transfer the saag to a plate to be used in later step.
- Chop the garlic petals (lehsun ki kali), ginger (adrak) and green chillis (hari mirch) into small pieces.
- Add chopped garlic petals (lehsun ki kali), ginger (adrak) and green chilli (hari mirch) to the mashed saag.
- Now add 2 table spoon mustard oil (sarson ka tel) to the saag and mix all the ingredients well with hands.
- The saag is now ready to be served with hot chapatis or rice.