Arvi ki patte ki sabji is a very delicious dish that can be served with chapatis and rice. This dish can be served both in the form of dry snacks and as curry. It has very high medicinal benefits as well. Learn how to make this dish with step by step photos and detailed recipe given below:
Preparation Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: 60 min
Recipe Yield: 5
- Taro leaves (Arvi or arbi ka patta) - 6
- Tomato (tamatar) - 3
- Coriander Leaves (Dhaniya patti) - for garnish
- Mustard Oil (Sarson tel) - as per requirement for frying and gravy
- Salt to taste
- Rice - 1/2 cup washed and soaked in water
- Gram flour (besan) - 2 table spoon
- Mustard Seeds (sarson) - 1.5 big spoon
- Garlic petals (lehsun ki kali) - 5-6
- Turmeric powder (haldi powder) - 2 tea spoon
- Coriander Powder (dhaniya powder) - 1 tea spoon
- Cumin Seeds Powder (jeera powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Black Pepper Powder (kali mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch powder) - 1 tea spoon
- Fenugreek Seeds (methi dana) - 1 tea spoon
- Whole Red Chillis (Sabut lal mirch) - 2
- Take 6 taro leaves (arvi ka patta) which are soft and small in size. Leave them submerged in water for some time so that the mud and fertilizer in it are washed off. Now wash the taro leaves (arvi ka patta) well twice with water and remove the stalk (danthal) from the leaves.
- Now grind the soaked rice into a fine paste in mixer jar and transfer it to a mixing bowl. Add gram flour (besan), turmeric powder (haldi powder) and salt to taste to it and mix all ingredients well.
- Lay a taro leaf (arvi ka patta) with its smooth side upwards. Spread the rice batter prepared in the previous step on the leaf as a uniform layer leaving 1/2 inch space along the edges uncovered. Now lay another taro leaf (arvi ka patta) on this layer of batter. Spread the batter on this taro leaf (arvi ka patta) in the similar manner. Again Cover this layer of rice batter with third taro leaf (arvi ka patta). Spread the rice batter on it in similar manner.
- Now roll the three leaves carefully and tie the roll prepared with a thread. Prepare all rolls in the similar manner.
- Place these rolls in kadhai and pour 1 cup water into it. Cover the kadhai with a lid and allow them to cook on low flame till the water dries up. Remove the lid and poke a knife into the roll to check if it is cooked till the core. If the knife comes out clean it means that the rolls are cooked and then turn off the flame.
- Now transfer the rolls to plate and cut them into medium sized pieces as shown in the image below.
- Now take the mustard seeds (sarson) and garlic petals (lehsun ki kali) in mixer jar and grind it to a fine paste. Transfer this paste to a mixing bowl and add salt to taste, turmeric powder (haldi powder), cumin seeds powder (jeera powder), black pepper powder (kali mirch powder), red chilli powder (lal mirch powder) and coriander powder (dhaniya powder) to it and mix well to prepare the masala paste.
- Heat a tawa or frying pan and pour some oil on it. Now dip the roll pieces into the masala paste covering the pieces on all sides and place them on the heated tawa for shallow frying. Flip and turn to cook it on all sides till it turns red. Cook 3-4 pieces at a time in similar manner. Remember not to overcook the roll pieces otherwise they will blacken.
- You will now be left with half the amount masala paste prepared earlier. Now heat a kadhai and pour some oil in it. When the oil is hot enough add the fenugreek seeds (methi dana) and whole red chillis (sabut lal mirch) to it. As the seeds crackle add a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi powder) and a pinch of salt to it.
- After 2 seconds add the remaining masala paste to kadhai and stir. After 2-3 minutes add the chopped tomato to the kadhai and allow it to cook on high flame. The salt will help to cook the tomato easily and the turmeric powder (haldi powder) will provide a beautifull red color.
- As the oil begins to seperate add water to the kadhai for gravy preparation. Now since the roll pieces soak up the gravy add enough water to prepare a gravy of desired consistency. Add a little salt to the gravy and allow it boil. Cook the gravy for further 3-4 minutes and then turn off the flame.
- Transfer the gravy to a beautiful serving bowl and add the roll pieces to it. Garnish with coriander leaves (dhaniya patti) and serve.