Falafel is a deep-fried ball or patty made from black chickpeas and is traditionally an Egyptian or Middle-Eastern dish. Falafel burger is a healthier version of the traditional aloo tikki burger available in market. We have made this falafel burger even more healthier by cooking the falafel burger in very little olive oil instead of deep frying. Learn how to make this tasty burger with the help of step by step photos and detailed recipe given below:
PreparationTime: 6 hours to soak the black chickpeas + 10 minutes for ingredient preparation
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Recipe Yield: 2
For burger preparation:
- Burger Bun - 2
- Onion (pyaz) - 1 big size cut into thin and round slices
- Cucumber (kheera) - 1/2 medium sized cut into thin and round slices
- Red, Green and Yellow Colored Capsicum (lal, peela, hara shimla mirch) - as per requirement finely chopped
- Cheese Cubes - 2 grated
- Black Pepper Powder (kali mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Normal Salted Butter - as per requirement to toast the burger buns
- Tomato Sauce - as per requirement or taste
- Lettuce leaves or Cabbage leaves (patta gobhi ka patta) - 2 (optional)
- Peanut Butter - as per requirement or taste
For falafel patty preparation:
- Olive Oil - as per requirement to shallow fry the chana tikki
- Salt as per requirement (namak swaad anusar)
- Black Chickpeas (kala chana) - 1 cup soaked in plain water for 6 hours
- Green Chilli (hafri mirch) - 3 finely chopped
- Garlic Petals (lehsun ki kali) - 3-4 finely chopped
- Ginger (adrak) - 1/2" piece finely chopped
- Turmeri Powder (haldi powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tea spoon
- Wash the soaked black chick peas (kala chana) and then transfer it to a mixer grinder jar. Add the green chilli (hari mirch), the garlic petals (lehsun ki kali) and ginger (adrak)to the mixer jar and then grind all ingredients together to slightly granular form. If the grinded mixture appears very dry then add 1-2 spoon water and grind slightly otherwise do not add water to grind the ingredients.
- Transfer the grinded ingredients to a mixing bowl and add salt, turmeric powder (haldi powder) and garam masala powder to it and mix well.
- Now heat and grease a tawa or grilling pan or a non-stick pan with a little olive oil. Once the oil is heated nicely, then lower the flame.
- Then prepare two falafel patties (tikkis) of the chana mixture prepared in the previous step (The diameter of the tikkis should be same as that of the burger buns). Now put these falafel patties (tikkis) on the tawa to cook them till they turn crispy golden red on the base side. Flip and cook the falafel patties (tikkis) on the other side in the similar manner. (Cook the tikkis over low flame only)
- Transfer the falafel patties (tikkis) prepared to a plate. Now cut the burger buns from the middle to divide then into upper and lower halves (as shown in the image below).
- Then toast the buns with some butter on a tawa on the inner side of each of the halves (as shown in the image below).
- Transfer the toasted buns to a plate and keep the toasted side upwards.
- Now spread some peanut butter on the toasted side of the lower half of the burger bun followed by a layer of tomato sauce.
- Then put a lettuce leaf (or cabbage (patta gobhi) leaf if lettuce is unavailable) followed by the falafel patties (tikkis) prepared above.
- After this put a round cut slice of onion (pyaz) and cucumber (kheera) on it.
- Now spread some grated cheese and then sprinkle some black pepper powder (kali mirch powder) on it.
- Place some chopped capsicum (lal, peeli, hari shimla mirch) on it.
- Then put the upper half of the burger bun over it (as shown in the image below). Press the bun slightly and the falafel burger is ready to be served.