Baigan Bhaja or Begun Bhaja is a Bengali dish and is famous across West Bengal, Bihar and Jharkhand. Prepare this delicious recipe by following the below instructions, and enjoy it in combination with rice, hot chapatis, or tawa parathas.
Preparation Time: 10-15minutes
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
Nutritional Content: Brinjal has very less calories and is rich in soluble dietary fibres and anti-oxidants.
Recipe yield: 8 servings
- Brinjal (baigan) - 2 big size and round, each cut into 16 big pieces/cubes
- Turmeric powder (haldi powder) - 1 tea spoon
- Cumin Seed powder (jeera powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Black Pepper powder (kali mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Red Chilli powder (lal mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Coriander powder (dhaniya powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil to pan fry the brinjal
- In a small bowl put in all the spices (haldi powder, jeera powder, kali mirch powder, lal mirch powder and dhaniya powder) and add a little water to form a paste for marination of thick consistency.
- Add salt as per taste requirement to the paste.
- Marinate the brinjal cubes with the paste prepared and keep the cubes in a seperate plate.
- Now heat some mustard oil in a pan. Pan fry the marinated brinjal cubes till the marination turns golden brown. Flip slowly such that all four sides of the brinjal are fried and cooked. With a Knife or fork check if the brinjal are cooked till their core.
- Serve hot with dal chawal, or kadhi chawal, or chapatis or tawa parathas.
(Tips: 1. Big variety of brinjals are used for this dish, like the ones used for Baigan Bharta)