Matar Pulao is an easy yet very tasty pulao recipes. It is among the famous rice based dishes prepared when there are guests at home for dinner and is usually served with curries. Learn how to make this delicious matar pulao with the help of step by step photos and detailed recipe given below:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
- Basmati Rice - 1 big cup
- Green Peas (hari matar) - 1 small cup
- Onion (pyaz) - 1 medium size and chopped into thin semi-circular slices
- Bay Leaf (tej patta) - 1
- Cloves (laung) - 3
- Cardamom (chhoti elaichi) - 1
- Cumin Seeds (sabut jeera) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt as per taste (namak swaad anusar)
- Desi Ghee - 1 table spoon
- Rinse the basmati rice nicely with plain water and strain off the extra water. Peel the green peas (hari matar) abd wash them too with water. Peel off and wash the onion with water too and chop it into fine and small pieces.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add 1 table spoon ghee to it.
- When the ghee is hot enough add the bay leaf (tej patta) and saute it lightly till it turns little red in color.
- Then add cumin seeds (sabut jeera), cloves (laung) and cardamom (chhoti elaichi) to it.
- As the cumin seeds (sabut jeera) crackle add the grren peas (hari matar) to tit. Add a little (a pinch or 2) salt to it as it will help the green ppeas (hari matar) to cook easily and help them to retain there fresh green color.
- Stir for few seconds and then add the basmati rice to it.
- Add salt as per taste to it and mix well. Stir for few minutes.
- Then add 2 cups water to the cooker and cover the cooker with its lid, to cok the pulao for 1 whistle.
- During this time heat some refined oil in kadhai and then add the thin chopped slices of onion in it and saute them till they golden red in color. Then transfer them to plate to be used later.
- Turn off the pressure cooker flame quickly after one whistle and wait for the cooker to cool down.
- Remove the lid and serve the pulao in a beautiful serving dish.
- Add the sauteed onions to it and the hot matar pulao is ready to be served rightaway.