Vegetable Momos are among the most relished Indian Chinese foods. They are the famous traditional foods of Nepal, Tibet and East India. Learn to make this buttery and delicious snack with the help of the recipe given below:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Recipe Yield: 3 servings (4 momos per serving)
- All Purpose Flour (maida) - 1 cup
- Water for the dough
- Refined oil - 1 table spoon
- Cabbage (patta gobhi) - 1/2 small size shredded
- Onion (pyaz) -1 finely chopped
- Carrot (gajar) - 2 finely chopped
- Green chilli (hari mirch) - 4 finely chopped
- Butter (makkhan) - 2 table spoon
- Salt to taste
- Ajino moto - 1 pinch
- Prepare a soft dough of all purpose flour (maida) and water. Grease the dough with 1 tea spoon refined oil from outside and cover it. Allow it to rest for 1/2 hour.
Vegetable Stuffing Preparation:
- Thoroughly wash all vegetable and finely chop them. (Finely chopped vegetables are easy to steam. Also starin of the water while washing nicely, so that it is easy to stuff the vegetables stuffing).
- To the washed and chopped vegetables add salt, ajino moto and mix with hands.
- Now add the butter to the vegetables and mix well.
- Add the chopped green chilli (hari mirch) and mix. You can add red chilli powder (lal mirch powder) or black pepper powder (kali mirch powder) as per your requirement.
- The stuffing is now ready.
- Prepare small balls from the maida dough. Grease the rolling plate with refined oil and roll the dough balls into flat and thin chapatis.
- Place the vegetable stuffing prepared with a spoon at the centre of the chapati and the bring the sides together to form a dumpling. Give the dumplings the desired shape using hands.
- In a steamer, fill the lower vessel till half with water and set it to boil. On the upper case place the momo dumplings prepared and cover with the lid. Cook the momos for 9 minutes. Turm=n off the flame and leave for 1 minute.
- Transfer the cooked momos from the steamer to beautiful diah with spoon and serve hot with chutney or tomato sauce. (The recipe for the chutney is given below steps)
- Boil 2 tomatoes and 2 whole red chillis (khadi lal mirch) in water on high flame.
- Peel off the boil tomatoes and transfer them to the mixer grinder jar.
- To the mixer also add the boiled whole red chillis (khadi lal mirch), 4 petals of garlic (lehsun) and salt ot taste. (Peel off the garlic before adding it to the mixer jar).
- Add 1 table spoon of refined oil to the jar along with 1 table spoon of water.
- Grind the ingredients to a fine paste.
- The chutney is ready to be served.
(Tips: 1. If the steamer is not available, take half filled bhagona or pateela with water and set it to boil. Cover the vessel with a clothfrom all sides and place the momos over it for cooking. Use a plate as lid to cover the momos while cooking. Cook for 9 minutes and serve. Also, you can use a seive or colander of steel, of the same diameter as the vessel (bhagona or pateela). Place the momos in it , cover with plate and cook in the similar manner. 2. You can store the momos in a casserol and serve all together to many guests.)