Khandvi are a light and mouth savory snack dish of the Gujarat cuisine. Stuffed with grated coconut and carrot this snack is healthy and rich in fibre. Learn how to make this healthy and delicious dish with step by step photos and detailed recipe given below:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
- Curd (dahi) - 1 cup
- Gram Flour (besan) - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Turmeri powder (haldi powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Carrot (gajar) - 1 grated
- Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya patti) - as per requirement
- Green chilli (hari mirch) - 4-5
- Ginger (adrak) - 1 inch big piece grated
- Coconut (nariyal) - 1 big piece
- Mustard seeds (sarson dana) - 1 tea spoon
- Green chilli (hari mirch) - 2 slitted along its length
- Curry leaves (kari patta) - as per requirement
- Oil : 1 table spoon
- In a deep vessel take the gram flour (besan) and add curd to it. Also add turmeric powder (haldi powder) and salt to taste to it. Mix all ingredients well with hands to make a paste like batter, without forming any lumps.
- Add 2 cups of water to the batter and mix well with a ladle. Remember that no lumps are formed. Add the grated ginger (adrak), some chopped green chilli (hari mirch) and mix.
- Heat a heavy base kadhai and pour the batter into it. Lower the flame and stir continuously. Slowly the batter will begin to thicken. Keep stirring the batter from the base of the kadhai to prevent the batter from sticking to the base and lump formation. Cook the batter on low flame only.
- When the batter is thickened properly, pour some batter with a spoon on an inverted plate and allow it to stick to it. When it cools try to remove it from the plate. If it gets removed easily as a layer then turn off the flame otherwise cook it for some more time abd check again. Then turn off the flame and cover the kadhai with a lid to avoid solidifying of batter.
- Now invert 2 plates and grease them with oil. Pour some batter and spread it to form a thin layer. Allow it to cool and soldify. Now cut it into two halves. Now make two cuts along the length.
- Now spread some grated coconut (nariyal), carrot (gajar), green chilli (hari mirch) and coriander leaves (hara dhaniya patti) over it. (do not put these ingredients in large amount otherwise it will be difficult to roll the sheet formed and it may also tear it)
- Now start rolling holding one edge and transfer the khandvi roll prepared to a beautiful dish. Prepare all khandvi rolls in the similar manner and arrnage them nicely in the dish.
- Now prepare the tadka by heating 1 table spoon oil in frying pan. As it heats up add mustard seeds (sarson dana), curry leaves (kari patta) and green chilli (hari mirch) into it. Allow the mustard seeds (sarson dana) to crackle and now pour the tadka over the khandvi rolls. Now serve the stuffed khandvi rolls with any chutney.