Vegetable khichdi is an easy to make, nutritious and a soothing dish from the menu of the Indian dishes. It is a complete package of all minerals and is easy to digest. Learn how to make vegetable khichdi with the help of step by step photos and detailed recipe given below:
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
- Basmati Rice (basmati chawal) - 1 cup
- Skinned Green Gram (dhuli moong dal) and Red Lentils (lal masoor dal) - 1/4 cup
- Water - 5 times the total amount of rice and pulses (dal) together
- Turmeric Powder (haldi powder) - 1 tea spoon
- Salt as per taste
- Cumin Seeds Powder (jeera powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Black Pepper Powder (kali mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tea spoon
- Asafoetida (hing) - 1 pinch
- Cumin Seeds (sabut jeera) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Onion (pyaz) - 1 finely chopped
- Garlic Petals (lehsun ki kali) - 4 finely chopped
- Green Chillis (hari mirch) - 2-3 finely chopped
- Cauliflower (phool gobhi) - 6-7 florets
- Carrot (gajar) - 1 chopped into long and thin pieces
- Green Peas (hari matar) - 1/2 cup
- Wash the rice and pulses (dal) together well with plain water. Then transfer all of it together to a pressure cooker.
- Now add 1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder (haldi powder) and salt to it.
- Then add water to the cooker which should be 5 times the total amount of rice and pulses (dal). Close the lid and pressure cook the ingredients for 1 whistle and then quickly turn off the flame. Allow the cooker to cool down.
- Now heat a kadhai and add desi ghee (or refined oil or mustard oil (sarson ka tel)) to it.
- When the ghee/oil is hot enough add asafoetida (hing) and cumin seeds (sabut jeera) to it and allow it to crackle.
- Now add the chopped onions (pyaz) to it. Saute them till goldern brown in color over low flame.
- Then add the caulifower florets (phool gobhi) to the same kadhai and saute them (over low flame) till golden brown with the onion (pyaz). (Cooking the caulifower florets (phool gobi) over low flame will help it to become soft and tender easily, and shall be cooked till the core nicely). Transfer the cooked onion (pyaz) and caulifower florets (phool gobhi) to a plate to be used in later step.
- After this add the chopped garlic petals (lehsun ki kali) and green chilli (hari mirch) to kadhai. Saute the ingredients and then add chopped carrots (gajar) and green peas (hari matar) to the same kadhai and saute them similarly till golden brown in color.
- When the ingredients turn golden in color add 1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder (haldi powder), a little salt, cumin seeds powder (jeera powder), black pepper powder (kali mirch powder), red chilli powder (lal mirch powder) and garam masala powder to kadhai. Mix and saute all the spices till the masala being prepared turns golden. Saute the ingredients over low flame to prevent the masala from turning black.
- Once the masala is ready add the cooked cauliflower florets (phool gobhi) and the onions (pyaz) to the kadhai and mix all the ingredients well well.
- Then transfer the boiled ingredients from the pressure cooker to the same kadhai and mix it with the vegetables and the masala. Cook all ingredients for 2 mnutes over high flame. Then turn off the flame.
- Now pour 1 table spoon desi ghee over the khichdi and the khichdi is ready to be served hot. You can serve this khichdi with either achaar or hare dhaniya ki chutney (Please find below the links for the recipes to prepare various achaar and chutneys):
(Tips: You can add water in khichdi as per requirement and make it of the desired quantity. But remember to use hot water, if you want to add more water to the cooked khichdi)