Veg pulao is a delicious version of steamed rice and stir fried vegetables cooked together with a few spices. It is often served as a complete meal. Learn how to make this dish easily with step by step photos and detailed recipe given below:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 -25 minutes
Recipe Yeild: 4 servings
- Rice (Chawal) - 1.5 cup
- Tej Patta - 1
- Cloves (laung) - 2-3
- Small Cardamom (chhoti elaichi) - 2
- Big Cardamom (badi elaichi) - 1
- Cinnamon (dalchini) - 1 small piece
- Shah jeera - 1 tea spoon
- Dry fruits - 1 table spoon
- Cashews (kaju)
- Raisins (kismis)
- Salt to taste
- Desi ghee
- Vegetables - 1 cup chopped
- Carrots (gajar)
- Cauliflower (phool gobhi)
- Green peas (hari matar)
- Onion (pyaz) - 1 chopped
- Water to cook rice - 3 cups (twice the rice quatity)
- Rinse the rice (chawal) well with water and keep aside.
- Heat some ghee in a kadhai and add the chopped onion (pyaz) to it.
- Saute the onion (pyaz) till it turns golden red and transfer to a plate.
- To the same kadhai and heated ghee add the whole spices (tej patta, cloves (laung), shah jeera, big cardamom (badi elaichi) and small cardamoms (chhoti elaichi)) and saute them on medium flame.
- Now add the chopped vegetables and stir.
- Add salt to taste, lower the flame and cover the kadhai to cook the vegetables for 2 minutes.
- When the vegetables appear golden red add the washed rice and mix all the ingredients.
- Add more salt as per taste, dry fruits (kaju, kismis) to the kadhai and mix.
- Now add the fried onion and mix again.
- Transfer all the ingredients of the kadhai to a pressure cooker and add water.
- Close the lid and cook for 1 whistle and then turn off the flame.
- Wait till the cooker cools and then serve the fried rice hot with raita or plain curd.