Sarson ka saag is a popular dish and forms a great combination with makke ki roti. Learn how to make this healthy and tasty dish with step by step photos and detailed recipe given below:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
- Boiled Potato - 2-3
- Mustard Leaves (sarson ka patta) - 1/2 kg
- Onion (pyaj) - 1 big size
- Tomato (tamatar) - 1 big size
- Garlic (lehsun) - 4 petals
- Green chilli (hari mirch) - 2
- Ginger (adrak) - 1/2 inch
- Turmeric Powder (haldi powder) - 1 tea spoon
- Cumin Seeds Powder (jeera powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Black pepper powder (kali mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Coriander powder (dhaniya powder) - 1/2 tea spoon
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil as per requirement
- Water as per requirement
- First seperate the mustard leaves (sarson ka patta) from the bunch and wash them well with water atleast 3 times. Now cut the mustard leaves (sarson ka patta) into 1.5 inch long pieces and transfer them to the cooker. Add 1/2 cup water and close the lid. Now cook the mustard leaves (sarson ka patta) for 2-3 whistles.
- Now in a mixer jar add chopped tomato (tamatar), garlic petals (lehsun ki kali), ginger (adrak) and green chilli (hari mirch). Grind all ingredients together into a fine paste.
- Now heat some oil in a kadhai and during this time peel the boiled potatoes and break them to small and uneven pieces. Add these potato pieces to the kadhai along with a little turmeric powder (haldi powder) and salt to taste and saute them till they turn a little red. Transfer these fried potato pieces to a plate.
- In the same kadhai add the finely chopped onions. As they saute and turn light red in color add the tomato and ginger -garlic paste prepared in step 2 to the kadhai.
- Now add a little salt, turmeric powder (haldi powder), cumin seeds powder (jeera powder), black pepper powder (kali mirch powder), red chilli powder (lal mirch powder) and coriander powder (dhaniya powder) to the kadhai and mix well. Allow the masala to cook for 1-2 minutes after which the oil will begin to seperate from the masala.
- Now open the cooker lid, transfer the cooked mustard leaves (sarson ka patta) to a mixer jar and lightly grind them to a rough paste. Transfer the mustard leaves (sarson ka patta) water from the cooker to a seperate vessel and keep it aside for use in later step.
- Now transfer the mustard leaves (sarson ka patta) paste and its water to the kadhai in which the masala is being prepared. Cook for 3-4 minutes on high flame till a consistent gravy begins to form.
- Now add the garam masala powder and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the fried potato pieces and turn off the flame. Sarson ka saag is now ready for serving.
- Transfer the sarson ka saag to beautiful serving bowl. Add a little fresh cream or desi ghee to it and serve with hot makke ki rotis.